Christian Living Through Learning
The Thunder Bay Catholic District School Board is committed to providing quality education which combines academic excellence with a concern for the spiritual, moral, social, emotional, cultural and physical growth of the student.
This education is provided in a Christ-centered environment where Catholic faith and life are integrated into the total curriculum and school day. Through the ministry of teaching, the Board fulfills its mandate from parents, from the Ministry of Education and Training, and from the Church.
Support Your Catholic School Board
Catholic Ratepayers have the unique opportunity to choose to declare their support designation for Catholic Education. When you designate your property assessment to Thunder Bay Catholic you are sending the government a powerful message. You are making your voice heard in support of Catholic Education—a right of Catholics in Ontario for over 150 years.
Now more than ever, it is essential that all partners in Catholic Education work together to demonstrate in a tangible way, their commitment to and belief in Catholic Education and in the protection and preservation of our educational system. One way to do this is by ensuring that your school tax support is designated English-Separate.
Why declare your support to Catholic education?
- It is the basis of attendance rights for admission into Thunder Bay Catholic elementary schools;
- It is a public record of the extent of support for our Thunder Bay Catholic schools, providing the government with an indication of the overall support and strength of a publicly funded Catholic school system. A Catholic who is not registered as a separate school supporter is not allowed to cast a vote in the election of separate school trustees in municipal elections;
- It is used to determine the number of trustees to be elected to each board to represent the interests of parents and other ratepayers;
- It supports board population projections, which affect funding for new pupil places.
If you are a homeowner, it is important to know that your declaration of support for Thunder Bay Catholic schools does not follow you if you relocate, as it automatically defaults to “public” support.
Each time you move or there is a change to the deed of your home, it is vital for Roman Catholic homeowners to complete an Application for Direction of School Support Form to direct your support to Catholic schools.
Who is entitled to support Catholic schools?
All Roman Catholics - even if you do not have children
Education taxes are paid whether you have children or not. If you do not direct your support, you are automatically considered a public supporter. All Catholic ratepayers are partners in Catholic education. Ultimately, your commitment will make a difference to the future of Catholic education and demonstrate to the province, the ongoing support of the general public to the Catholic school system in Ontario.
Homeowners and Tenants
If the sole owner of a home is not Roman Catholic, but the spouse is, or one owner in a jointly owned home is not Catholic, support can still be directed to Thunder Bay Catholic by completing an additional Roman Catholic School Assessment Lease Form. The Lease form is used for school support purposes only.
How do declare my support?
For your convenience, the short process to follow and forms to complete are accessible below. It only takes a few minutes to complete and submit the form to our Student Information and Administrative Services office through your elementary or secondary school. Please share this information with family and friends who may not have children in Thunder Bay Catholic but who support Catholic education.
- Check your school designation on your property tax bill to ensure that you are an "English Separate" school supporter. If you are unsure please contact the Municipal Property Assessment Corporation (MPAC) at 1 (866) 296-6722.
- Print and complete the Application for Direction of School Support Form.
- In addition, if you are one of two (2) joint owners or tenants of your home, but only one of you is a Roman Catholic a Separate School Assessment Lease Form will also need to be completed.
- Please mark your completed forms to the attention of Student Information and Administrative Services and return the completed form(s) to:
- your child’s school or
- the Thunder Bay Catholic District School Board Office